I know this is veering off the subject of food a bit, but here’s the deal. I was doing a Google search for a quilt pattern called Quaker Town Crossing. My daughter is getting married in May! and I want to piece this quilt top and have it machine quilted for her. (At this point I’m hoping she doesn’t read my blog anymore). I found this photo on a website called Webshots by American Greetings… made by member Diandre5.
What’s the point, you ask? Why is it “Grandma’s Quilt?” Here’s the story. Many years ago, in 1996, I started up a little quilting group and asked Marianne Fons to come speak. I live in Earlham, in Madison County, Iowa and so does Marianne. In fact, they have a fantastic quilt shop in Winterset… not sure what it’s named, even though I go to Winterset pretty often. But, Marianne is half of the team Fons and Porter, so if you go to the southwest side of the square in Winterset and look for that name, you’ll probably find the shop!
But I digress. When we were cleaning out my foster mother/Grandmother, Alta Rorah’s home, we found several quilt tops. This was among them. I showed the quilt top to Marianne, who was very interested because she had never seen the pattern before. She did some research and couldn’t find the pattern anywhere. SO, she re-drafted the pattern, and featured it in her then-new quilting magazine, Sew Many Quilts (May, 1996 issue). My grandma, and her quilt, are immortalized. What better wedding gift to give my daughter?
If any readers have made this quilt, I would love to see their results!
- Quilting again (srcgchs.wordpress.com)
- Shop Hop Quilts for 2012 (hoptheriver.wordpress.com)
- snowflake quilts (hopefuldays.wordpress.com)
- Quilts, Quilts, Quilts (katydidcountry.com)
- New Year, New Quilts! (ladylikedesigns.wordpress.com)
- 4th Annual Quilt Shop Hop a Circle-Island Expedition (damontucker.com)
- Best of CRAFT 2011: Quilting (craftzine.com)
- Solidarity Quilt (scrambledmeggs.wordpress.com)
- orange & pink quilt (emersonquilting.wordpress.com)